Monday, April 25, 2011

Another fun day at home!

Last night, I was able to cook dinner for some friends. I cooked one of Chris' favorites...roast chicken. I also made potatoes and broccolini (not Chris' favorite). The chicken and potato recipes are both my own, and unfortunately, I don't measure anything. I can give a general idea for the recipe...they don't require much work!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Both the chicken and the potatoes will go in the oven...
For the chicken:
3 chicken breasts-bone in, skin on (I say 3 because I've only ever see them sold in packages of 3, and they are HUGE, so usually you can feed more than one person with one piece)
Kosher Salt
Garlic Powder
Cayenne Pepper

First, the worst part, clean and trim up the chicken. Then season both sides with the salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. You really need a heavy hand with the salt. It makes the chicken taste so much better in the end! Heat corn oil in a cast iron skillet (or any oven proof pan) on medium heat. Once hot, put the chicken in skin side down. You will want to get the skin really crispy here. It may take some maneuvering to get all parts of the skin crispy. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes for this...remember this is not where you cook the chicken, just getting the skin crisp! After the skin in crisp, flip the chicken (skin side up), and baste the chicken in the oil and juices that have cooked out. Put the chicken in the oven for about 30 minutes (depending on the size). Baste the chicken frequently to keep the skin crisp and the chicken juicy!


Crispy Potatoes
1-1 1/2 lb small red potatoes
Kosher Salt
Olive Oil
Bread Crumbs (Panko works great)
Ms. Dash Extra Spicy (optional, but if you don't use it, substitute another spice)

Wash and dry potatoes. Chop potatoes into bite size pieces. Place in a big bowl. Pour enough olive oil to coat the potatoes, then add salt, Ms. Dash, and bread crumbs. I always use my hands to mix and cover the potatoes in the spices, but feel free to use a spoon! When the potatoes are coated, spread out on a baking sheet, and put into the oven for about 30-45 minutes. At about the halfway point, flip the potatoes. Check that they are soft with a fork before taking them out of the oven.
I can't wait to have a double oven...one day!

For the broccolini, I mince a couple of cloves of garlic and cook that with a couple of tablespoons of butter. When the garlic has cooked for a couple of minutes, I add the broccolini, along with some salt. If you like the broccolini more firm, put a lid on the pan and take it off the heat, letting it sit for a few minutes. If you want it softer, keep in on the heat for a few minutes.

I can't believe I didn't take a picture of the finished product! I think I was just too excited about eating to remember!

Chris and I
Elizabeth and I
Elizabeth and Calvin

It was just another wonderful day cooking and hanging out with friends! We leave for the Bahamas tomorrow...I am beyond excited! Even though it is 11:30, and I have 2 more loads of laundry to do and also pack for 6 weeks on the road. Oh yeah...and drive to Atlanta. It's going to be a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment